When wisdom teeth get stuck, or a tooth has broken at the gum line through decay or damage, a surgical extraction is likely to be the recommended course of action
You won’t need your wisdom teeth out unless they are causing problems that leave you vulnerable to tooth decay. But because wisdom teeth come through at such a late stage in life, when all other adult teeth have long since formed, impaction is a common problem. This is when the wisdom teeth press against existing teeth, grow in at an angle and get stuck. In cases where this causes pain, swelling and infection, it is likely you’ll need to have your wisdom teeth removed.
Extractions – what to expect
Having a tooth out is the same as having an operation and, because of this, you must look after the area to speed healing and to reduce the risk of infection. Here are some pointers:
- For the first 24 hours, try to avoid eating hot food, don’t smoke, don’t drink any alcohol and try not to disturb any blood clot which might have formed
- Don’t rinse your mouth for 24 hours after extraction. After that, rinse gently with warm salty water – half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water is enough
- Brush your teeth as normal to keep your mouth as clean as possible.
- You may feel some small pieces of bone work their way out of the socket – don’t worry, this is perfectly normal.
- There may be some swelling and a bit of discomfort in the first two to three days. If you need to, take some ordinary painkillers – aspirin, ibuprofen or paracetamol will be fine
- If you feel pain a few days after the tooth has been removed, it might be where the blood clot has broken down leaving an empty hole in the gum. This is called a ‘dry socket’ and will need to be looked at by your dentist
Frequently Asked Questions
If a wisdom tooth has erupted above the gum line, you’ll require a simple extraction – a straightforward procedure carried out under local anaesthetic, which usually takes a few minutes to complete. Wisdom teeth that are stuck, broken, or which haven’t emerged above the gum line will require a complex extraction by an oral surgeon. This procedure involves cutting into the gum to access the tooth.
You’ll need to take a day or two off work to get used to managing the inevitable swelling and low-level pain that occurs after surgery, as well as cleaning the tooth socket. We will provide you with a comprehensive after-care plan, and you can expect a full recovery within two weeks of surgery.
Should have done this review months ago when my treatment was finished.
I just want to say a big thank you to Pro Dental. My treatment was smooth, appointments adjustable and the end results amazing. I had braces and my teeth look soo good, I get a lot of compliments.
When I first came across Pro Dental I thought I only will need braces but they advice in on another treatment as well as braces that will give me the look I’m going for. Ending up paying more but so worth it. It weren’t a pushy/hard sale rather advice with great resources and information to make you understand and decide.
I would honestly recommend anyone to Pro Dental (already have told a few), the staff members are lovely and welcoming. Amazing team.Aisha Adio
My experience at Prodental was so great, they were friendly, professional and made the entire process easy and comfortable. I am very pleased with the result of my orthodontic treatment with doctor Deborah. I would highly recommend it! Many thanks!!Cristina Macias Cordero
Had a very pleasant experience, very good flexible appointment days/hours, the treatment was done very professionally and with a great result at the end of it all. I'm very happy with the results.Otello Simpson
Fantastic experience from start to finish. I'd been considering Invisalign for a while (too long!) and I honestly couldn't have picked a better place than Pro Dental. The service is great, it's easy to book appointments (managing in work hours) and I'm so pleased with my result.Cherie Waller
💎 𝑳𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒐𝒏’𝒔 𝑳𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑪𝒆𝒍𝒆𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝑫𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒔𝒕
🦷 𝑽𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒆𝒓𝒔, 𝑪𝒓𝒐𝒘𝒏𝒔 & 𝑰𝒎𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒔
😁 𝑺𝒂𝒎𝒆 𝑫𝒂𝒚 𝑻𝒆𝒆𝒕𝒉, 𝑰𝒏𝒗𝒊𝒔𝒂𝒍𝒊𝒈𝒏/𝑶𝒓𝒕𝒉𝒐
👄 COMPOSITE BONDING JUST £250
📞 0203 026 4402